Rechercher dans ce blog

Monday, June 7, 2021

Regina's Place grads reflect on their challenges and success - TheSpec.com

The Regina’s Place Jeanne Scott School is an alternative adult education centre for young mothers 18 and older, who are returning to school to earn their high school diplomas. The school is operated in partnership by the Hamilton-Wentworth Catholic District School Board and the Good Shepherd Centres Hamilton.

Located next door to Regina’s Place residence, the school offers subsidized transitional housing for young mothers in conjunction with on-site support and programming. Both the school and the residence support young mothers in breaking the cycle of poverty through life skills, goal setting, child development training, and bettering their chances of employment and independence.

The Spectator met up with a few of the new grads to find out how they succeeded and what kept them going.

Fatima Usman, 23, and her three-year-old daughter Lindsay.

Fatima Usman, 23

Tell us a bit about you, and what inspired you to return to school after becoming a mother?

I am a mother to a beautiful little girl that I have dedicated my life to. Life can be very challenging for single mothers in many ways. But through it all, it is important to remember that the best thing you have right by your side is your very reason to push through all the negativities. A child is God’s gift to a mother, and it changes the person you were into a someone stronger. She is my motivation!

What/who helped you push through and succeed in graduating this year?

The supports I received convinced me that it was not so hard to go back to school and finish after all. The child minding was supportive so that I could focus on my school work, and my LEAP (Learning, Earning and Parenting) worker Nadia who gave me knowledge on resources as well as great connections to them. They were also able to help me secure a laptop this year which was both necessary and helpful.

What are your goals for the future?

After graduating, I plan on going into social work to help other young parents and especially single moms because I know what it feels like to have been in their shoes. I want to help people and see them doing well and being accomplished and happy!

What is one piece of advice you have for other young parents who are thinking about returning to school to finish their high school diploma?

Reach out to the right supports and always follow your heart!

Angelica Costa, 21, and her children Emma, 2 (in overalls), and Helena, 3 (wearing pink).

Angelica Costa, 21

Tell us a bit about you, and what inspired you to return to school after becoming a mother?

After having both of my daughters I knew the best thing for them, and their futures was to show them that their mom could do anything she put her mind to. So, with the support of my mom and sister I went back and got my high school diploma and will be bettering my future by attending Mohawk College.

What/who helped you push through and succeed in graduating this year?

With the help of my family and the support of my teacher I pushed through it, even when it was not easy for me.

What are your goals for the future?

My goal for my future is to be able to complete the marketing program at Mohawk College and one day open my own marketing firm.

What is one piece of advice you have for other young parents who are thinking about returning to school to finish their high school diploma?

One piece of advice I have is to just do it because no matter how old you are or where you came from, you should always want to better yourself. Just because you had your kids young, or even if you are a teen mom, you can still succeed in life just like everyone else.

Jessica Fitchett, 21, and her two-year old son, Felix.

Jessica Fitchett, 21

Tell us a bit about you, and what inspired you to return to school after becoming a mother?

I dropped out of high school and got pregnant at age of 18 and had my son at 19. Once I had time to settle in with my son, I wanted to be the best mom and role model I could be, so I decided it would be best to go back to school. I wanted him to see me as someone who never gave up. By getting myself a better education, I showed myself that I can do it and now I can pursue my dreams too!

What/who helped you push through and succeed in graduating this year?

Loading...

Loading...Loading...Loading...Loading...Loading...

My teacher Kara was a huge part of my success. She never gave up on me, she encouraged me to get my school work done and she helped me with any questions I had. I found all the staff at Regina’s Place was amazing for support, and the childminding service was so valuable in keeping my son happy and learning while I was busy with my school work.

What are your goals for the future?

My goal is to firstly be the best mom I can be for my son, but secondly, I plan to apply to Mohawk College and eventually become a sign language interpreter. I have grown up with deaf parents and have had to interpret for them most of my life. I understand the struggles people face to communicate with barriers and I think it is important and a way that I can help make a difference for some people.

What is one piece of advice you have for other young parents who are thinking about returning to school to finish their high school diploma?

My advice would be to stop thinking of it and just do it. I think realizing that I am capable of being a mom and completing my school at the same time has given me a lot of self-confidence and has been a rewarding experience for me where I got to make friends and meet some incredible people.

Kyla Murphy, 22, and her children Lyla, 3, and Jackson, 4.

Kyla Murphy, 22

What inspired you to return to school after becoming a young mother?

I was inspired to return to school because I wanted my kids to be able to look up to me and be proud of how much I had accomplished as a young, single mother of two. I want them to see how much better our life is because I worked hard and got my diploma and my dream job. I want them to know that working hard actually pays off.

What/who helped you push through and succeed in graduating this year?

I want to give a huge shoutout to all the staff and Good Shepherd Regina’s Place for helping me stay focused and push my way through even when times were tough. I want to give an individual shoutout to my teacher, Kara, for always believing in me even when I did not, and helping me figure out new ways to learn, love and care for everyone.

What are your goals for the future?

My goals for the future are to become a doula, which is a labour and birth coach. I want to be able to help women have an empowering birthing experience with the most support and love around them.

What is one piece of advice you would give a young parent who is thinking about returning to school for their high school diploma?

Stay focused and stay positive. In the end, you will be so proud of yourself; that accomplishment is the best feeling ever because you earned it, and no one can take that from you.

Sarah Damiani ,18, and her daughter Aaliyah, 2.

Sarah Damiani, 18

Tell us a bit about you, and what inspired you to return to school after becoming a mother?

I have a daughter named Aaliyah who will be turning two soon. I dropped out of school for a while when I found out I was pregnant but went back not long afterwards because I wanted the best life for my daughter. I switched schools twice before finding Regina’s Place; I knew it was right for me and my daughter. The staff are so nice, the people are amazing, and they really push you to do your best. Being a young mom is not always easy but with lots of support it gets better.

What/who helped you push through and succeed in graduating this year?

My parents really helped me through graduating; they pushed me and told me they knew I could do it. They always made it known that with my schooling and getting a good job, I would be able to live a good life. I knew that I did not want to have to struggle financially. Supporting my daughter and making sure she has what she needs is everything to me. I also left a toxic relationship, and this also really helped me flourish a lot and do better in my life.

What are your goals for the future?

I want to get my own apartment for me and my daughter, and hopefully get a good job in social work.

What is one piece of advice you have for other young parents who are thinking about returning to school to finish their high school diploma?

It may not be easy at times but if you really want it, you will make the time, push through and accomplish it. As moms, we are strong and can get through anything.

Adblock test (Why?)


Regina's Place grads reflect on their challenges and success - TheSpec.com
Read More

No comments:

Post a Comment

Our Place Society dishes up holiday cheer at annual Christmas lunch in Victoria – Vancouver Island Free Daily - vancouverislandfreedaily.com

Our Place Society kicked off the holidays in gourmet style this year, treating clients to turkey, potatoes, stuffing and vegetables on Wedn...